Sunday, December 13, 2009

CORN FREE FROSTING

http://www.cookingallergyfree.com/forums/5/topics/54

So as I've mentioned, I am allergic to corn and egg.. I discovered this within the last year and am still trying to cope. I've continued to think that I am just not able to really eat icing, such as buttercream, which I usually use for cake decorating. I've always had in my head that icing is almost pure corn products. I thought confectioners sugar was pretty much pure cornstarch and there was no way working around it... I never thought about how just different starches can possibly be used. The site above gives some ideas and solutions! It mentions that extra fine sugar can be mixed with safe starches such as arrowroot or tapioca... or even rice powder. I know a lot of egg allergy friendly breads, brownies, etc, often use tapioca starch. I wonder if I can find tapioca starch at local Health Food Stores. ..

for an easier method, this site offers powdered sugar with the fine sugar/tapioca combination..
http://www.allergygrocer.com/miss-roben-s-gluten-free-corn-free-powdered-confectioner-s-cane-sugar.html
This site seems amazing.. you can shop by allergen and select the foods in which you can not have and it gives a large list of products for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment