Tuesday, December 1, 2009

FAAN and Replacing Egg

I just found the FAAN website (The Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network). It is very helpful and gives many allergy friendly recipes, tips, information, support group information, and etcetera. Their mission is to raise public awareness, to provide advocacy and education, and to advance research on behalf of all those affected by food allergies and anaphylaxis. FAAN membership stands at about 27,000 people and includes families, dietitians, nurses, physicians, school staff, and reps from gov. agencies and the food and pharmaceutical industries.  Looking at the site, there are no support groups in South Dakota that are listed. They ask to email them if interested in starting a group. It'd be interesting to start a group and work together with other individuals and help inform those less aware. 


I found this recipe a bit interesting, pretty plain and simple, but a way to go without egg... Chocolatey Chocolate Cake - FAAN .
I want to do a bunch of research and try to come up with the best way to substitute egg in different recipes.  I also want to continue researching about food allergies and understand everything better. I'm going to try this method of replacing egg and experiment with this recipe. Also, maybe a cream cheese frosting or something not containing confectioners sugar.. 
Here are other substitutions for egg listed by FAAN:
   * 1 tsp. baking powder, 1 T. liquid, 1 T. vinegar
    * 1 tsp. yeast dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water
    * 1 1/2 T. water, 1 1/2 T. oil, 1 tsp. baking powder
    * 1 packet gelatin, 2 T. warm water. Do not mix until ready to use.


Also, I have used Flax Seed in many recipes. 
1 Tablespoon Milled Flax Seed dissolved in 3 Tablespoons warm water, will replace one egg. Since flax seed is very oily, I found it works best in more dry baked goods like oatmeal cookies or muffins. I've tried it in brownies, but it didn't turn out. One would definitely have to alter normal recipes and use less oil when using flax.


From past experience, different substitutions work better for different recipes. Especially things like brownies that already contain a lot of oil. I guess this all seems a bit common sense, but a bit helpful in understanding what to pair baking powder with and how a recipe works. I want to continue to learn about the chemical process of baking and how things work, for that is where I am lacking. 


Just wanted to share this very important website. I'll post my experimenting soon. Also.. I am making a couple of Graduation cakes coming up for college graduates. I am excited. I went to Hobby Lobby and Michaels last week and got many new cake decorating tools!  I was suppose to be helping with wedding ideas, but I was distracted and ecstatic by the baking isles  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment